This is me, about to lose my mind

This is my post about my 19 month old and his need to clean the floor with his head and back. I seriously feel like I'm about to lost my dang mind when he throws these new tantrums. It all starts because I just physically can't hold him any more. You try carrying around a 20lb bag of potatoes all day and see how long it is before your arms start to give out. So as soon as I put him down he immediately throws himself backwards, hitting his head on the oh so soft and squishy tile floor. Thud. Then he proceeds to SCREAM at the top of his lungs, all the while pushing himself along the floor on his back with his feet. On the way across the floor he RAMS his head into numerous objects. Thud...thud....thud...thud....you get the point. His tantrums don't.ever.stop. Period. I have tried ignoring them, picking him up and putting him in another room, etc. He climbs out of everything or THROWS himself out of everything. I'm about to lose my mind with him. It's emotionally exhausting to go through this 3-4 times a day. Seriously. The pediatrician says to just ignore him, walk away, and let him come to me when he's done. But Sam, my dear son, will throw these tantrums till he just wears himself out and falls asleep. This can be upwards of an hour. So this whole long winded explanation and description of my son throwing his tantrum and how I am slowly going crazy is to ask, what in the world do I do with him? Grit my teeth and hold on for the ride until he outgrows this stage? I'm afraid before we get there, he might seriously injure himself. Sigh......I feel better now venting about his tantrums at least a little bit. Now I just figure out how to help him.

Comments

One response to “This is me, about to lose my mind”

SurferWife said...
December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

oh man. I wish I had these fantastic words of wisdom, but I don't. Haley did go through a phase where she would scream and cry (minus the getting hurt parts) and yeah, I just had to sit back and hold on for the ride. Just know it will eventually come to an end. Seems like a distant memory for me now....

Related Posts with Thumbnails