Let the guilt begin....

So last week I took Katie to the dentist, albeit late by like 6 months, for her 3 year, and also her very first, check up. I also new she had a problem with her left front tooth from the fall she had while we were in Washington before Christmas. The tooth had gone gray and from researching on line I had read it's possible for the discoloration to go away. Well, it hasn't, so I knew it was time to get it looked at.
As it turns out, the tooth is dead and has to come out. She also has an abscess in the root of that tooth which is causing her permanent tooth to turn at an angle. So she is now on antibiotics to clear up the abscess before they pull it out on the 19th. Yes, you heard me, my sweet baby with her adorable smile will be without one of her front teeth until the permanent one comes in. I was in such shock (although I knew it was a possibility) and Sam was being such a butt at the appointment, that I neglected to ask whether she would have a spacer or what until the permanent tooth starts to come through. In any case, when we talk to Katie about it we refer to it as "wiggling" it out. So if you see her and it comes up in conversation, please don't use the word pull. ;) Oh and because her permanent tooth is crooked now, it will mean she will almost positively require braces when she is older. All this because she fell and bumped her mouth on the stroller. Sigh...yeah, there are a few aspects of the whole thing that make me feel guilty.
I will post pics of her at the dentist from my camera phone soon. She did amazing with the whole appointment, no tears, no fighting. Just a sweet little girl. Who will soon be short one tooth.

Comments

One response to “Let the guilt begin....”

Sara said...
May 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Aw Poor Katie! The same thing happened to my youngest nephew AND my eldest niece. VERY common, so don't feel guilty! You're an awesome Mom. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails